[sf-lug] What's the best way to sync two laptops?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 6 10:54:36 PST 2011

Quoting Michael Shiloh (michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com):

> I'd love to move from FF to Chrome....

FYI, just in case you were not aware, Chrome is a proprietary,
binary-only browser whose code and functionality inherently cannot be
even inspected by the open source community, let alone independently
maintained / fixed / adapted / updated.  There is also a lingering
issue of conflict of interest that doesn't apply to other good
proprietary Web browsers such as Opera.  (See below about Google, Inc.'s
conflict of interest problem.)  If you're already aware of all this, no
problem.  It's of course entirely your call.

More at:  http://www.svlug.org/prev/2011feb/svlug-lecture-2011-02-02.odp
or http://www.svlug.org/prev/2011feb/svlug-lecture-2011-02-02.pdf
(slides)

and

http://www.svlug.org/prev/2011feb/svlug-lecture-2011-02-02.txt
Lecture notes for those slides.

> ...but I'm addicted to vimperator and that's not
> available for Chrome yet (there are a couple of vi chrome extension,
> but not nearly as extensive as vimperator yet).

The adblocking and anti-tracking measures available for Chrome (and even
for Chromium) are thus far not as effective as those for Firefox --
leaving aside the fact that one cannot be entirely sure what a
proprietary, binary-only Web browser is doing behind your back, anyway.
Cynical people might think Chrome/Chromium's relative weakness at
adblocking and anti-tracking predictable in a browser written and
maintained by the firm that purchased DoubleClick, Inc. in 2008 for
$3.1B, and whose business model relies on targeted advertising and user
tracking, but you be the judge.