[sf-lug] What's the best way to sync two laptops?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Nov 30 19:11:13 PST 2011

Quoting Michael Shiloh (michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com):

> Sometimes I miss the old days of running my own server in my garage.

Funny thing:  Mine's in my garage.  ;->

uncle-enzo.linuxmafia.com aka linuxmafia.com (which runs this mailing
list, among other things) is currently an antique-ish 2001-era VA Linux
Systems model 2230 2U rackmount box, 1 * 750 MHz PIII CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, i
2 * 18 GB mirrored pair of SCSI drives for main array (one of them
currently dead and needing replacement), 73 GB single SCSI drive for
extra storage.

Works for Me.<tm>

It's the fourth machine to serve that role.  First was a home-built box
with an AMI Enterprise III EISA/VLB motherboard and 486DX2/66 CPU, 64 MB
RAM.  Which survived being Slashdotted several times without breaking a
sweat.  That was replaced by a homebuilt AMD K6/233 box, which in turn
was replaced by a 1998-era VA Research model 500 with 1 * 500 MHz PIII,
which was destroyed by a wind and lightning storm on April 15, 2009[1],
leading to several hours of downtime, before I quickly deployed the
current box as a replacement, and gradual restoration of public services
followed over the next few days.  (Sorry, folks.)

> Now I have no personal server, and I don't think I have a static IP either.

rsync over ssh nonetheless is your most obvious tool, I think.

Depending on what gives your laptops their DHCP leases, there are a
variety of ways to deal with the annoyance of changeable IPs.

[1] http://linuxmafia.com/news.html