[sf-lug] alternatives to ubuntu?

Samir Faci samir at esamir.com
Thu Nov 17 12:52:26 PST 2011

There are some Ubuntu derivatives which are far less annoying.

I think the main ones are Kubuntu (KDE)  and Xubuntu (XFCE).

I was never a fan of gnome, so I've always run the KDE version.  XFCE
is nice too, but more
lightweight.  You can also run Fedora, SuSe, Mandrake (I think those
are the basic easy to use distributions).

Linux Mint is a distribution based on Ubuntu that has been making some
waves.  The latest
version seems really popular of late.  It actually passed Ubuntu on
terms of popularity so might be
worth looking into.

For other ideas..    http://distrowatch.com/