[sf-lug] alternatives to ubuntu?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 14 17:28:47 PST 2011

Quoting Akkana Peck (akkana at shallowsky.com):

> In most Ubuntu versions, the login screen (gdm) should give you an
> option to log in with a different desktop -- you may not need
> update-alternatives.

gdm / kdm / etc. do indeed tend to pick session management for the
DE you pick (if any) at login, but repointing
/etc/alternatives/x-session-manager changes the default for the system
as a whole.  AFAICT, the session manager is the key piece in each DE
that launches all those rubbish service processes and helper
mini-applications that you didn't explicitly want and would rather not
run  ;->

I'll readily admit that my interest in this stuff for my _own_ purposes
is mainly limited to losing session management and picking the window
manager desired.

...and I tend to just put in xdm and use, which is rather less
overengineered than the other display managers.