[sf-lug] alternatives to ubuntu?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Nov 14 16:31:47 PST 2011

Rick Moen writes:
> First, install one or more of the DEs you don't yet have.
[ ... ]
> Then, select which session manager and window manager you want to use by
> default:
>
> $ sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
> $ sudo update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

In most Ubuntu versions, the login screen (gdm) should give you an
option to log in with a different desktop -- you may not need
update-alternatives.

> Consider the (IMO) rather superior alternative of no DE whatsoever,
> and just running the window manager of your choosing.  Better, install
> various WMs and switch among them until you find the one you like best.

Seconded. I've been using Ubuntu for years without any of the
Gnome stuff or any other desktop (I use the openbox window
manager).  It gives you a nice feeling of freedom when everybody's
trading angst over the latest default desktop changes. Plus, it's a
lot easier to move your config files to other machines, or to use
the same setup under different distros.

Someone asked about just staying on Lucid. That works fine for
someone who's doing basic browsing, text editing etc. It doesn't
work so well if you're a developer or tester who needs to build
cutting-edge versions of software packages. If you're not sure,
try it and see how it works for you.

	...Akkana