[sf-lug] alternatives to ubuntu?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Nov 14 15:49:54 PST 2011

Quoting Michael Shiloh (michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com):

> good question. i switched first to gnome3 (possible w/in ubuntu) and
> while it's tolerable i found it got in my way more than helped.
> gnome2 really put most of my useful things where i wanted them.
>
> so in answer to your question, if i use a distro that is debian
> based, i'd like to be using gnome2.

If you're a subscriber to Linux Weekly News, you can read this excellent
article about the choices being offered to users in Linux Mint 12,
including two separate installation options attractive to admirers of
GNOME 2.x:

https://lwn.net/Articles/465538/

If you're not a subscriber to Linux Weekly News, consider subscribing!
(The contents of the weekly edition become available to non-subscribers
in eight days after publication date, if memory serves.)

The article was based largely on analysis and summary of Clement
Lefebvre's announcement about Linux Mint 12 plans:
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1851

Looks like the release candidate ('RC') for Linux Mint 12 'Lisa' came
out this past Saturday.
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1858