[sf-lug] (no subject)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Nov 10 16:19:07 PST 2011

Quoting donna curtis (donnaccincinnati at yahoo.com) -- but not the actual
Donna Curtis, but rather a spammer who seems to have broken into her
webmail account:

> [a spamvertised URL]

Folks, this sort of break-in has been happening all over the major
webmail services for several years.  Please, when you see it happen,
jolt the listadmins awake, and ask them to fix it.

How do you find the listadmins?  Look at the bottom of any posting

two listadmins, Jim and lx_rudis.

Turns out, Donna's Yahoo box was apparently security-compromised in
2009, and her mailbox has been intermittently hitting this mailing list
ever since then.  As owner of linuxmafia.com, which hosts SF-LUG's
mailing list, I stepped in today because abuse of my server by spammers
is pretty much the biggest no-no.  I've just now ensured that Donna's
account cannot spam us again _and_ purged all past spams sent by her
mailbox from the sf-lug back-postings archive.

If this ever happens again, please let Jim and lx_rudis know.  If that
doesn't work, let _me_ know.

Best Regards,
Rick M.
</hat="system owner/operator">