[sf-lug] [Tiny-tux] Browser on 486

Wladyslaw Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 15:47:29 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Ronald Cotoni <setient at gmail.com> wrote:
> recompiled kernel (the kernel needs to be recompiled to use WAY less ram).
>  twm uses ~800kbytes of ram which is completely doable on a 486.

Good point, I'm thinking CONFIG_EMBEDDED and
CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE to start with.

It would be useful to have lynx/links as a backup, but most people
prefer a graphical browser for everyday use. Conceivably one could run
X to just launch a single fullscreen browser window and no window
manager, if X were absolutely needed for some reason.