[sf-lug] Meeting today November 6 at Cafe Enchante

Bobbie Sellers bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com
Sun Nov 6 14:39:40 PST 2011

         I arrived at 1040.
         Ken Schaeffer and wife arrived before 1100
         Jim Stockford was late but made a massive
contribution to the Library fund.   Eric Porter
came in later.
         I had a problem connecting to the WiFi
at Cafe Enchante but eventually with Ken's help
we got my wireless working again.  In the
process I got to see the new Unity interface
on Ubuntu 11.10 which now works without
hardware acceleration.  Looks like it is usable
and Ken had it set up much as I would with the
task bar at the top of the screen and additional
tasks and programs on the left.
          Works very nicely too even without the
nVidia specific drivers.  Was running on a
kernel above 3.0
         In the process of getting the wireless
working the Compaq Presario was booting
and rebooting on installed Mandriva, Knoppix
6.7 and Ubuntu 11.10 as noted above.
         The wireless is still working here at home.
         We broke up about 1 PM and Jim gave
myself and Eric a ride home which is quite
a help.

     later
     Bobbie Sellers