[sf-lug] Ubuntu 11.10, Oneiric Ocelot Installation Notes

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 14:33:16 PDT 2011

Ubuntu 11.10, Oneiric Ocelot Installation Notes

  The desktop ISO downloaded very quickly 1.9-2.0MB/sec on Oct 13. Used the
10.04 disk creator to install the ISO to a Kingston 2G micro SD card with a
1G fat partition and a 1G Linux partition.  First boot of the card in a USB
reader on an HP presario v3000 laptop resulted in only a movable cursor and
a desktop background.  Ctrl-Alt-t did not pop up a terminal window.
Ctrl-Alt-F2  got me to a virtual terminal and I copied the open source
Broadcom wireless firmware into /lib/firmware/b43-open.  Switched back to
the desktop background with Alt-f7 and more F11 and Ctrl-Alt-t commands to
get a terminal failed to do anything. While moving the Bluetooth mouse to
try to get it to connect, the launcher panel, toolbars, and two terminals
suddenly showed up. The wireless connected with no problem.  Note that  the
laptop used really needs the Nvidia drivers to run Unity  at a reasonable
speed, but seems to run the Unity-2d acceptably.

 Tried the additional drivers to get the Nvidia drivers ,but only the
Broadcom STA driver was listed.  (I needed to select some additional
software sources).  Next tried to connect the Bluetooth mouse, and the app
window locked the system.  Ctrl-Alt-F2, Ctrl-Alt-backsp, Ctrl-Alt-del, all
did nothing. Powered off.  Two minutes to boot to the desktop background,
then 10 more seconds to get to the Unity interface -- much slower than the
45 sec for booting 10.04 on an identical card/USB.
 Set up the Bluetooth mouse, used [+] to get a new device.  The
window drag is really slow, the window trails the mouse and eventually
catches up.  System locked up again, except for being able to move the
cursor.

  Booting on a netbook with the ra2860sta wireless worked fine.  I put a
config file into /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat, but not sure that
the config is still needed.  The rt2800pci driver now handles the chip
nicely, so the staging driver, rt2860sta.ko, is no longer needed.
 Turned on software sources to try the Nvidia drivers again. Did not see
them in the additional drivers list, but manually added a ppa and got the
285.05.09 driver.  Later on, for a normal install, with the software
sources set up properly, I had the Nvidia drivers listed in the additional
drivers, but the "current" selection gets the 280... driver.  Unity
performance is much better with the Nvidia drivers, but still not as snappy
as with Unity-2d.  Guess I'll stick to the 2d interface for now. No more
lockups were seen after activating the Nvidia drivers and using the
Unity-2d interface.
  Shutdown seems to hang, taking 2 minutes.  Error messages indicate that
the "kill all remaining processes" failed, so that may have something to do
with it.  This extended shutdown is noted in the standard installation to
a USB too.  Looks like the 11.10 live media does not make as usable system
as the 10.04, with it's slow start and shutdown.

  The initial USB was used to install to an 8g Candy Team Inc USB.  Used
my standard modifications (h=4, s=16, partition 1 start at 8192 sectors)
and was surprised to see that my installer wireless information was carried
over -- all I needed to do was copy in the firmware, and a connection was
made!   The additional software sources set up on the installer also
carried over to the installation.  Maybe this is standard, but this is the
first time I am using a modified installer system.  Previously I used
unmodified installers straight from the ISO.

The 8G installation runs (in 2D) with good performance, and seems to be
snappier than the 8G 10.10 system I have been using.  Then again, lets see
after I install a few more packages.  Of course, with USB sticks differing
in performance so much, that may be the overriding factor.  No problems
with firefox like I experienced with 11.04 (Natty), so I may make the
switch from 10.10 (Maverick).

Ken