[sf-lug] Having trouble activating my WiMax adapter

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 31 15:05:25 PDT 2011

Quoting Eric Rasmussen (ericwrasmussen at gmail.com):

> I have an Intel Centrino Advanced AGN 6250 and I'm running MINT 10.  I can
> not figure out how to remove the wimax soft block.

Wow, WiMax (IEEE 802.16e).  Jeez, Eric, you're really jumping right onto
the cutting edge.  I've not yet even gotten my hands on any of the
relevant hardware, let alone attempted to run the brand-new Linux
support on it.  However, a little reading reveals that the diagnostic
means:  Your i2400m-usb chip's activation is software blocked.  (That is
probably not news to you, but I'm just now reading about this subject.)

Your problem really isn't Mint-specific -- and it's hardly surprising
that you're getting nothing useful on Web forums, which in general are
pretty hopeless for technical discussions.  Try
http://lists.linuxwimax.org/listinfo/wimax

Just in case you haven't already attended to this detail:  Make
sure you've fetched the relevant Intel firmware 'blob' (image file) and
put it into /lib/firmware.  (I am reasonably sure you've already done
this, based on your transcript.)