[sf-lug] Trying to determine the actual size of a USB drive

John Magolske b79net at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 20:06:54 PDT 2011

I have an OCZ USB 8GB Dual Channel Rally2 Pen Drive, and for some
reason df seems to be telling me it has more than 8GB capacity:

     ~ % df -h
    [...]
    /dev/sdb1              15G  7.3G  6.7G  53% /media

I'd like to determine with certainty whether this is an 8GB or 16GB
drive. Someone suggested copying a file larger than 8GB to the drive
and comparing the copied file to the original...maybe with CMP(1) or
using checksums. I'm wondering if there might be another way, as I'd
rather not erase everything currently on the drive. I'd also like to
avoid adding more write cycles to its flash storage chip.

TIA for any suggestions,

John

--
John Magolske