[sf-lug] Domain Registrations

Grant Bowman grantbow at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 11 00:46:06 PDT 2011

One of the many topics discussed tonight at the Ubuntu Hour [1] and
Noisebridge Linux Discussion [2] was a domain that was registered but
expired. the ICANN reports a 30 day "Redemption Grace Period" where
you must renew with your current registrar. Late fees are allowed.
GoDaddy.com chages $80 though seems willing to negotiate this
extortion fee down a bit when queried on the phone.

I try to use nearlyfreespeech.net for some of my registrations and I
have heard some in the SF-LUG use joker.com.  I used to work for
NameSecure.com when they were very small though they were purchased by
Network Solutions and are no longer what they once were.

Where do you prefer to register your domain names?

Grant

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/UbuntuHours
[2] https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/LinuxDiscussion
[3] http://www.icann.org/en/transfers/dnholder-faq-03nov04.htm