[sf-lug] remote camera

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 18:34:27 PDT 2011

Jim
on amazon, search for "web camera" and the first one is the one I got for
$6.95.  It's down to $5.03, and qualifies for the free super saving shipping
($25 or more).
The usb standard does limit to 5m high speed devices, with hubs, extensible
to 30m, but there's the standard, and there's real life -- my experience
with rs232 cables (~200') indicates exceeding the 50' standard for those
cables was no problem (for low speed serial connections).
A more expensive camera like the foscam 8918 (~$100) would allow ethernet or
wireless but needs a 5v power line.
I see usb extension cables for $9 /33' but only max two daisychained.
the usb/cat5 converter goes up to 150' for $30 + the cat5 cable.
Wireless looks like a reasonable alternative, maybe you'd need a special
antenna though.
Ken