[sf-lug] More about the math package sage I mentioned

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 14:33:11 PDT 2011

Jim,
 I had mentioned sage at the Cafe Enchante meeting -- here's
a little more info.  The Linux Journal July 2011 has a Sage article in it.
sage is available directly from www.sagemath.org, both sources and
on-line.

I think I downloaded the sources and recompiled, and that took a few
hours (if I am remembering the right one!).  Binary packages are
available, and some on line links and a standalone cd too (I haven't
tested them).  Sage has a web interface too, on port 8000 which I have
not tested either.  Claims to help manage and create spreadsheets.

For a nice 3d graph (first example from their 3d on line section), from the
command line:
sage

x, y = var('x y')
sage: W = plot3d(sin(pi*((x)^2+(y)^2))/2,(x,-1,1),(y,-1,1),
frame=False, color='purple', opacity=0.8)
sage: S = sphere((0,0,0),size=0.3, color='red', aspect_ratio=[1,1,1])
sage: show(W + S, figsize=8)