[sf-lug] PDF embedded graphics

Jeff Bragg jackofnotrades at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 12:25:26 PDT 2011

Anyone know anything about extracting _embedded_ graphics (charts, tables,
figures) from PDF files?  Note that I am _not_ interested in extracting
pages as images (I already know how to do that, and it doesn't separate
embedded elements), only embedded elements.  It seems like there should be a
way to do this in Ghostscript, but I can't seem to track one down.

It also occurs to me, given that PDF is an image-based format, that it may
not be possible to separate embedded elements (they may get merged with
relevant page info to form a single image/page without any metadata retained
to guide later element separation).