[sf-lug] K & R errata

Jeff Bragg jackofnotrades at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 16:31:28 PDT 2011

Let's try this again, to the list this time (sorry for the repeat, Jim).

Ken,
I think I should be fine, from what you're telling me; so far, I haven't
really had compile-time problems with variable declarations/definitions,
save when I was (well ahead of the topic's introduction in my reading of
K&R) trying to re-familiarize myself with something like proper pointer
declaration/usage (which was never that familiar to me anyway).

Jim,
I don't know the answer to that question, though I would also be interested
in it, if someone has it in broad strokes.

I did, however, think of something related to real-world usage of functional
programming languages (relating to our brief conversational digression
towards Haskell).  Erlang, a similar functional programming language,
started life as a telecom language (at Ericsson), and today is used in a few
major projects where concurrency, distribution, and/or message passing are
critical.  For reasons I only passingly understand (related mostly to the
type system employed, I think), it is supposedly less mathematically
rigorous than Haskell (and perhaps some others, like OCaml), which is to
say, if I understand correctly, that it is a less faithful implementation of
or the calculi/logic systems and type/constraint systems that serve as the
theoretical underpinning of at least some other languages classified as
"functional".  The consequences of such deviations from purity are probably
not that relevant, provided you aren't, for instance, trying to implement
"provers" (of mathematical theories), as some folks do in Haskell and a
handful other languages.

Erlang is sort of exceptional in its inclusion in some major projects, as I
can't think of another functional language that has a noticeable market
presence; maybe to some degree Clojure (a LISPy language targeting the JVM
and CLR) or F# (assuming it is regarded as truly functional; I know very
little about it, as it's connections to the Microsoft world limit my
interest in it), but little else that seems to be getting anywhere, as far
as I can tell.  One of Erlang's selling points is legendary uptime, and the
ability to do some rather cool things (assuming you planned a little for it
and hooked in support for it) like updating running code _without_
restarting the server; the new code just kicks in at the first request to be
serviced after it is added.  Also, since it is very much "functional" in
that variables are variables in the mathematical sense (single-assignment),
this bit of functional purity is theorized to be much of the reason for the
legendary uptime (no possibility of cross-process/-object contamination due
to actor model/message passing rather than shared memory, fewer
opportunities for race conditions).  I'm not saying it's particularly
practical; it still often requires a very different approach, which is not
easily won, and can make solving messy, real world problems seem more
difficult (and sometimes it truly is).  Nevertheless, it's an example of a
functional programming language that was conceived and implemented in and
for the real world for practical (if specialized) use, rather than in
academia as a tool for teaching language construction/design/theory.