[sf-lug] Learning Bourne Scripting

Alison Chaiken alchaiken at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 12:34:41 PDT 2011

I'm a fan of Dave Taylor's shell scripting column in _Linux Journal_
and his related book _Wicked Cool Shell Scripts_.    Many of his
columns should be on-line.

I mostly learned how to use bash by reading "man bash."    bash has a
particularly useful man page.    I'd recommend "man sed" and "man awk"
too while you're at it.

BTW, John Mashey, who wrote the first Unix shell, lives locally and is
often at Computer History Museum events.      It's inspiring to walk
among such people every day here in the Valley.

--
Alison Chaiken
(650) 279-5600  (cell)