[sf-lug] Learning Bourne Scripting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jun 23 15:31:06 PDT 2011

Quoting Grant Bowman (grantbow at gmail.com):

> I was hoping for suggestions and recommendations of particular quality
> beginner resources rather than numerous, excellent, more professional
> resources....

Those _are_ beginner resources.

> ...because it is hard to know specifically where to start out.
> If you had to choose only one, where would you suggest a beginner go
> first?

Gee, I don't know.  Given that every one of the resources I mentioned
other than Albing & co's book is available freely on the Web, I
suspect 'Try it and see what you like' is more than sufficient, and in
fact better than 'choose this one'.

Maybe there's not a single bash tutorial that's best for everyone.
Maybe there's not a single Web browser that's best for everyone.
Maybe there's not a single window manager that's best for everyone.
Maybe there's not a single office suite that's best for everyone.
Maybe there's not a single Linux distribution that's best for everyone.

Having spent a couple of decades documenting the feast of choices that
open source users have, it's really peculiar to hear people come back
with 'Yeah, but which _one_ should I choose?'

'Try and see what you like' has gotten me a long way in life.  One
size seldom fits all.