[sf-lug] Help get Ubuntu LiveCD to have encryption options!

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Apr 28 19:27:11 PDT 2011

Quoting Micah Lee (micahflee at gmail.com):

> I haven't tried installing Ubuntu from the graphical installer, but
> I believe they both give you the option to encrypt /home.

http://www.cjlinux.com/system/installation/how-to-install-ubuntu-with-an-encrypted-file-system.html

  Presently, the advanced partitioner capable of configuring an
  encrypted file system is only included on the Ubuntu Alternate Install
  CD.

That item was dated August 4th, 2009.  So, let's look at the 11.04 release
announcement.  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/ReleaseNotes
Hmm, not _really_ clear (pretty vague), but some of the wording suggests
install-time functionality's still restricted to the alternate disk.

(They're too busy telling people how much they'll love Unity to bother
with a real feature list.)

> The vast majority of Ubuntu users use the desktop CD to install,
> since this is recommended to them when they download from
> ubuntu.com.

The vast majority of radio stations used to play disco, and a lot of
people still think Celine Dion can sing and Andrew Lloyd Webber can
write music.  ;->