[sf-lug] Help get Ubuntu LiveCD to have encryption options!

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Apr 28 17:31:08 PDT 2011

Quoting Stefano Maffulli (smaffulli at gmail.com):

> I haven't installed a new version of Ubuntu for a long time: why would one
> need to encrypt the whole disk? IIRC Ubuntu's installer allows to encrypt
> /home partition: do I remember wrong?

If memory serves:  The alternate disk offers that option.  The 'desktop'
disk, the one that boots a live CD desktop with an optional graphical
installer, does not.

I personally always suggest favouring the alternate disk for
installation, anyway.  Its ncurses-based installer program (which is
Debian's installer) is considerably more robust, controllable, and able
to be steered around occasional installation potholes.  Also faster and
able to run in much less RAM, for obvious reasons.

--
Cheers,                                "The first thing I do in the morning
Rick Moen                              is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue."