[sf-lug] Cheap router

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 22 17:58:55 PDT 2011

Quoting Grant Bowman (grantbow at ubuntu.com):

> Try to get an WGR614L (aka. v8) if you have a choice.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netgear_WGR614L  A used one is available
> from Amazon for $15 + shipping right now.
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002FOTH44

That's pretty sweet for a perfectly OK little device.

Grant, I owe you a debt of thanks for speaking up and recommending
OpenWRT for the Linksys WRT54g v. 3 WAP[1] I came by a couple of years
ago, when I was talking about DD-WRT for it.  That was very much the
right choice, and it's a real workhorse - amazing.  All the frustration
CABAL had endured in trying to rely on my wife's Apple Airport Express
went away.  (Daniel Gimpelevich helped me compile the then-beta release
of OpenWRT onto it, which was then desirable because that gave you the
better and finally completely open source Broadcom b43 driver.)

So, thanks!

What I'd really _like_ to find, it strikes me, is a WAP with Atheros
WiFi rather than Broadcom, slightly less cramped RAM/disk (8 MB flash,
64 MB RAM), and one or two HiSpeed USB 2.0 ports instead of the current
no external connector at all.

Word I hear is that such units do emerge from time to time and show up
via online retailers, and what happens is that a mob of canny Linux
users make a land-grab and by up the entire production run.  I guess I
want to be one of those guys, next time.  ;->

[1] Linksys WRT54g has:
Platform:  Broadcom 4712 @ 200 MHz
Flash:  4 MB
RAM:  16 MB