[sf-lug] sf-lug Digest, Vol 62, Issue 26

Alison Chaiken alchaiken at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 17:51:13 PDT 2011

Akkana writes:
>On Ubuntu, you'll only see 3G RAM with the standard kernel; to see
>all of it, install the PAE kernel, package linux-image-generic-pae.
>I'm not clear why PAE isn't the default.

I thought PAE was a kernel-level default install?   And that x86_64
didn't need it anyway?    Akkana, are you installing the PAE package
on a 32-bit machine?

On Fedora, "yum list all \*pae\*" and (\*PAE\*) lists nothing.

I guess since PAE requires an additional level of address translation
that it could degrade performance in situations where memory usage
never exceeded 3 GB and swap was rarely used.    Are there such
desktop systems any more though?

--
Alison Chaiken
(650) 279-5600  (cell)