[sf-lug] Starting Out With Linux

jim jim at well.com
Sat Mar 12 08:17:02 PST 2011

    there are two types of people, those who ask about
linux and those i approach about linux.
    those who ask are generally open, sometimes
enthusiastic, often fed up with windows.
    those whom i approach are generally bored and
resistant to the idea of using linux. i approach them
again, a year later, maybe, and hope that over time
they get curious and open up.

    those who are willing to try out linux are scared
that it's different. i regularly explain that linux,
mac, and windows are pretty much all the same, their
engineers steal ideas from each other--basically it's
the same mouse-clicking no matter what you use.

    newbies i encounter seem to want a book to cuddle
with. my advice is that they should try using linux
first and get a book later, cause the book will be
meaningful after they've got experience, not before.
i also advise newbies to skim over the book, glancing
at all the chapters, to get an overview, and to use
the index a lot.

    most every newbie comes with a computer, almost
always a laptop. sometimes its their windows machine,
sometimes they've bought a new machine. either way,
it's essential that they try out linux using a live
CD to be sure the distro will work with all their
machine's subsystems. of course wifi is the common
failure point (thank you broadcom). that's the end
of that.
    sometimes everything works, in which case they
want to install but are worried that they'll lose
their windows files (and services). this takes
explaining dual booting. that's not too hard, but
they have a problem developing compensating habits
of use. mainly, it takes dedicated training to
teach them how to see the windows file system when
they're using linux. generally i have them copy
the files they want over to their linux partitions.
    they generally don't understand the differences
between data files and programs and services. it's
not too tough to teach them that linux programs
can work with windows files.
    as to services, netflix is a good example: they
wanna copy their netflix files. it takes repeated
explanations to get them to understand that netflix
is an internet service and they need a special
program that works with that service and netflix
doesn't make such a program for linux (i spend only
a little time explaining that netflix may be scared
that someone will reverse-engineer an app so's to
sidestep DRM). skype is another service example,
and that has a successful outcome.

    people who convert generally have a dual boot
system and over time seem to migrate to linux only.
    some people go linux-only right away and seem
happy with their experiences. those using old
machines regularly appear for help with hard drives
or their newly purchased used machines....

    the riskiest use case is that of the newbie who's
bought a new laptop and wants linux--they had no idea
of subsystems and device drivers and compatibility
issues.
    the best case is that of a newbie who comes for
advice before buying a computer--i try hard to send
them to zareason:
* zareason vets the machines to be sure that linux
  works completely.
* zareason installs linux on the machines and will
  configure it per your wishes (i try to help them
  learn what to wish for: RAM gives the best bang for
  the buck....
* zareason sells at low prices, comparable to dell or
  big-box stores....
* zareason has great customer support, generous,
  unrestricted....
* zareason is local to the sf bay area; you can go
  there and check 'em out and try comnputers.
* zareason is a family owned and run store. that
  means friendly policies and a pleasant sales and
  service experience, working with people who really
  care and are in a good mood.

    newbies are particularly impressed when i show
them applications > ubuntu software center, like
showing a kid a candy store.