[sf-lug] Getting a new email address

Bobbie Sellers bliss at sfo.com
Mon Mar 7 17:14:43 PST 2011

On 03/07/2011 05:00 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Bobbie Sellers (bliss at sfo.com):
>
>> You guys miss the point entirely.
> That is indeed unfortunate, but the reason that happened is that you
> weren't being very clear.
>
>> Some systems will not accept mail that comes from an address that is
>> not in the contact list.
> To repeat, what's 'the contact list' in this context?  Does that refer
> to the SF-LUG mailing list's subscription roster?
>
> What does 'some systems' refer to in this context?  The software that
> operates the mailing list?
>
> I'm guessing yes to both.  I'm guessing what you want, but haven't
> clearly articulated, is that you desire to use
> bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com as an alternate posting address.
     Wrong but you give a good suggestion below it
seems.  I was referring to personal contact lists.
> Simple:  Subscribe bliss-sf4ever at dslextreme.com via
> to post from either address.

     Well that might be convenient but I will wait
until the problem with the Google fixes itself or until
I manage to get it fixed with or with out the help
of the Google staff and advice.

> That gives you _two_ subscriptions, so you will probably want to
> set one of them to subscription option 'nomail' so you don't get two
> copies of every posting.
> Yes, you are correct that pretty much _all_ (not just 'some') Internet
> mailing lists now accept postings only from subscribed posting addresses.
> This is a natural consequence of the spam problem.  So, subscribe the
> addresses you wish to be able to post from.

     I was posting for the few individuals who frequently
send me private email for various reasons.  Not too
many thankfully and not too frequently thank goodness.

     But thank you for the advice and maybe when the
Google starts to work I will do that.