[sf-lug] how to make a bootable USB stick from an Ubuntu 10.04 live CD?

Ken Shaffer kenshaffer80 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 22:06:32 PST 2011

I'd suggest partitioning your 2G stick with a 830M/rest of disk dual
partition, so you may do the usb disk creation on the 830M using the minimal
128M read/write size (which creates a file casper-rw), and then label the
other partition casper-rw and delete the casper-rw file.  This gives you
enough space for whatever you'd like, and seems to boot more successfully
than when the big casper-rw file is used.  I put an ext2 filesystem on the
casper-rw and modify the fstab entry to include noatime.  As well, I put
/tmp and /var/log into ramdisks with fstab entries.
Biggest drawback from a direct to usb install (which I do on 4G sticks) is
the 3 min boot time (as opposed to a 1 min boot).  The stick is updatable,
but the updates will of course be written to the casper-rw partition, and
will take up significant room.