[sf-lug] Help! Can't connect to AT&T wireless

David Sterry david at sterryit.com
Wed Feb 16 17:10:25 PST 2011

Jackie,

1. Did AT&T sell you a Linksys? I doubt that as they usually go for
2wire modem/router combos.

With a 2wire, the tech will plug it in and go through a process to
register your account and create an att.net email and password. The next
step would be to try the wireless.

The wireless password will be listed in brackets on the bottom of the
device. If the router is connected to the internet, you should also be
able to plug an ethernet cable into the back of the 2wire and into your
computer to get online. Does this work?

I am also interested in the part where you say your wireless account
name is listed. That name should be your SSID by default will generally
by 2wire_### where the ### is a 3-digit number. Another way to figure
out if it's your router is by signal strength. Of course yours should be
strongest if you're right next to it.

I hope that helps but please respond with the answers to the above
questions for further help.

Above all, don't listen to the Ubuntu won't work idea because it's rare
with AT&T that that is the case. I've recently seen Verizon business DSL
requiring a windows program but generally any web browser will work.

-David