[sf-lug] picture organization Bill and Dog

Eric Walstad eric at ericwalstad.com
Tue Feb 8 08:45:39 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:32 PM, John Magolske <b79net at gmail.com> wrote:
> * Brian Morris <cymraegish at gmail.com> [110207 20:42]:
>> There is room for keywords in jpg metadata if the filenames get
>> too long, but then you do need a program to search it.
>
> I was just reading a post on Hacker News [1] discussing tools for
> dealing with JPEG metadata. The exiv2 "Image metadata manipulation
> tool" [2] was mentioned. I'd not heard of it before ... seems to be
> rather capable.
>
> [1] http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2188163
> [2] http://www.exiv2.org
>
> John

Here's some code I wrote to read/write weather data in jpeg image
headers[0].  It uses the Python package pyexiv2.  Re the ops issue, I
think that it's inevitable that the file names will need to be parsed
to harvest the keywords/tags from them.  If the tags aren't stored in
some kind of database, even a flat file, that parsing will need to be
run on each search.  There are lots of handy command line tools to
help automate this but I'd do it with Python and sqlite.

Eric.
[0] Code on bitbucket: http://snipr.com/1zxach