[sf-lug] Fwd: What do you people use to organize your photos both locally and on the web?

Brian Morris cymraegish at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 18:02:19 PST 2011

[whoops forgot the list]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Brian Morris <cymraegish at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM
Subject: Re: [sf-lug] What do you people use to organize your photos both
locally and on the web?
To: Akkana Peck <akkana at shallowsky.com>

Keywords created flat files which I don't like much, seems like a (mid) 20th
century technology.

I have an "Asset Management" program in Mac that is ageing / ailing but
really helps a lot, I do wish there was an open source replacement (the
newer versions of this program I don't like expensive bloatware).

Even with the program I stilll use file/folder system, I like to experiment
with organizational schemes, but I only use a few aliases here and there. I
have found that most people are challenged to think clearly in two
dimensions never mind three -- we mostly live in two dimensions unless we
are pilots.

I would like to have some running software that assists me in classifying /
reclassifying things. I have some toolkits but barely prototypes. I'd be
interested in working with others on a hacking project maybe. My desire here
at this point not to gui but to have graphical presentation of results and
some command line features. This should be scriptable / hackable. Given a
current representation of some kind, the program could perhaps present the
user with some feedback or assist in further filing.

Certainly if I had some better tools my life in Linux would be expanded, I
would want the tools to be cross platform though still and cloud solutions
for me are out of the question.

What I would really like (dream) is software that could work directly with
images rather than relying (exclusively) on textual tags. This is not
impossible, but for practical purposes I think it requires some (General
Purpose) GPU programming ie OpenCL, which is an emerging technology I hope
to become involved with.

Long story short -- getting real tired of twentieth century (soft)
technology.