[sf-lug] Migrated wrong set from thunderbird, lost a bunch of folders. Can I be saved?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 19 17:36:04 PST 2011

Quoting Michael Shiloh (michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com):

> You're right. ^mbox^mailbox^. I always get the two mixed up.
>
> As to re-indexing, good idea. I didn't realize Thunderbird would do that.
>
> It turns out you can right-click on a folder, select "preferences",
> and select "repair folders".
>
> Unfortunately this didn't help.

Michael --

Open a shell and follow Akkana's advice.  She's right:  Your first
priority should be to find out 'Is my old mail physically present in the
mbox files or not?'  That's a pretty simple yes/no test.

Then, if you like, you can play around with clicky-clicky 'repair'
options and the like.  Or you can do the obvious:

1.  Back up stuff.
2.  Quit Thunderbird, open shell, and cd to where the mboxes are.
3.  Delete index files.
4.  Re-open Thunderbird.

--
Rick Moen                "Top tip:  Pay for your homeopathic medicine with a
rick at linuxmafia.com      glass of water that's had a $100 note dipped into it."