[sf-lug] Migrated wrong set from thunderbird, lost a bunch of folders. Can I be saved?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Wed Jan 19 14:05:59 PST 2011

Rick Moen writes:
> Quoting Michael Shiloh (michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com):
> > Oh, how I miss the old days of mbox format and mutt.
>
> Last I checked, Thunderbird continues to store all mail, sent and
> received, in mbox format.  There are binary indexes, which of course you
> can delete and thereby cause Thunderbird to re-index the mail from
> scratch.

That's what I thought, too. At least it used to use mbox format.

Michael said:
> I'm missing 1/3/2010 - 1/18/2011.

So you can probably go to wherever your folders are stored and do
something like:

egrep '^Date: .* Jan 2010' *

to see if any of the missing mail is still there. And, of course,
copy that whole directory somewhere before you start on any recovery
attempts like deleting the folder indices.

	...Akkana