[sf-lug] GNOME cut/paste/delete issue

Alex Stahl testcore at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 17:23:36 PDT 2010

Hi Folks - Wondering if anyone's seen this problem, and if they might know a
solution:

Env:
-Ubuntu 10.04
-GNOME 2.30.2 (incl.)

If I cut a section of text (highlight, then ctrl-x), then highlight & delete
(via Delete key) another piece of text, then paste (ctrl-v), I get the
deleted text, not the cut text.  I'm blaming GNOME since it happens between
various independent apps.  I could perform the cut in gedit, and the delete
in netbeans, and the paste in an email, and I get the same results.  Oh, and
it doesn't happen 100% of the time.

I haven't changed any mappings or keyboard shortcuts, and have even
triple-checked various preferences to ensure I hadn't accidentially enabled
this somehow or been pranked by IT.  Nope, everything's default and nothing
I can find indicates that this behavior is enabled.

I'll spare the list my rant about how offensive this is, both to a user and
to the linux philosophy (why is 'delete' doing two things and acting like
cut?!?); suffice to say it's driving me nuts.  Has anyone observed this
and/or have any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks,
Alex