[sf-lug] recovery after dd

Aaron Borden adborden at live.com
Mon Sep 6 20:38:13 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-05 at 09:55 -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
> If anyone on the list has any experiences with these tools, any
> feedback would be much appreciated.

I've used foremost before to recover files after an accidental rsync
--delete-excluded /home/ /home

It works by reading the file headers off the disk, so
1) it will only recover files whose header it knows how to identify
2) it won't recover directory information, so filenames and directory
hierarchy is lost
3) I forget if you can specify disk offsets to read the disk. Recovering
everything from a 120GB disk will result in a lot of files to sort
through. I was recovering jpegs taken from my digital camera, and had to
sort them by size (ImageMagick) to separate photos I cared about from
others (think temporary internet files and emoticons).

All in all, it's not a process I would like to repeat. Hope your testing
goes well, let us know if you find an easier way.

-Aaron