[sf-lug] recovery after dd

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Sep 6 10:18:24 PDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Brian Morris <cymraegish at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/5/10, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
>> I have an old external USB drive (120GB, I think) that had a bunch of
>> files and was close to full. I ran dd on it and installed a 2.1GB
>> image.
>
> I don't know about anyone else, but it is unclear to me
>
> a) exactly what the original condition of the drive was
>
> b) exactly what you did (arguments to dd ? what did you do by
> "installed" you say ?)
>
> c) where did you get the idea of doing this ? didn't they say how to
> the other half of the method ?
>
> Without this information, it would be hard for anyone to give any
> guidance as to what to do as far as I know.
>
> Brian

Sending this out to Brian and the list. He forgot to cc list.

Hi Brian,
This is an experiment. I had a external USB drive lying around (close
to full), so I'm playing with it. I also had a 2.1GB image from an
earlier experiment, so I used dd if=image.img of=/dev/sdc1 bs=1M but
what I want to figure out is if the data past 2.1GB is recoverable.

Hope this clarifies.

cheers,
Sameer