[sf-lug] Retail Software in Linux (Bookstore)

jim jim at well.com
Sun Aug 22 21:16:33 PDT 2010

   One of the guys I work with and I have talked about
creating some kind of Linux distro for retail stores;
we hadn't thought of book stores (thanks for the tip!).
   I bet that it's pretty much standard software that's
got a customized database, maybe with fields for bar
code info, ISDN number, standard cost structures and
returns, la la la, maybe some custom configuration for
communications, and pretty standard inventory and other
accounting software, likely with tie ins for cash
registers and bar code scanners.
   I entered http://www/google.com/linux in the address
bar of my browser and in the google search box typed
linux point of sale retail bookstore or something
similar and was surprised at how hard I had to look to
find actual software that was in the ballpark:
http://www.advanceware.net/ sells an inventory
management package that integrates with QuickBooks.