[sf-lug] Fw: Our voices - A friend in the Senate - Net Neutrality

vincent polite vpolitewebsiteguy at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 08:49:54 PDT 2010

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Al Franken <no-reply at alfranken.com>
To: Vincent Polite <vpolitewebsiteguy at yahoo.com>
Sent: Fri, August 13, 2010 8:36:30 AM
Subject: Our voices

Al Franken for Senate 2014 - Email Update

Dear Vincent,
Wow.
In just a few short weeks, more than 85,000 people have signed my petition to
protect net neutrality and stop the corporate takeover of our media.
And as corporations continue to plot mergers that would reduce consumer choice
on television and agreements that might undermine the free flow of information
online, it's more important than ever that we stand together and make our voices
heard.
As I've said before, the Comcast/NBC merger could be the spark for a new wave of
media consolidation that would leave a few companies in control -- both of the
pipes through which we receive programming and of that programming itself.
And if we don't act now to protect net neutrality and keep the Internet free and
open, that corporate control will soon extend online.
This is a tough fight.  We're up against some of the biggest corporations in
America and, thanks to the Citizens United decision, their influence over our
political system has never been stronger.
But our government -- regulators, members of Congress, the Obama administration
-- still gets a say in this.  They can put stringent restrictions on mergers
like Comcast/NBC.  They can take steps to mitigate corporate influence in our
regulatory system and our elections.
And, maybe most important of all, they can write the principle of net neutrality
into law so that, no matter what happens, we can count on a free and open
Internet.
But first, we have to make them do it.
I'm so proud of our effort so far.  And in the weeks ahead, I'm going to keep
asking more and more people to join us so that our voices can be heard loud and
clear.
It's going to be a tough fight.  But with your help, we can win it.
Thanks for everything,

Al
P.S. -- If you want to help me keep the momentum going strong, you can tell your
friends on Twitter and Facebook and encourage them to sign our petition.  Or you
can direct people to my speech at Netroots Nation and op-ed on CNN.com for more
information.  And, I suppose, you could always chip in a few bucks to help us
reach more supporters.  Thanks!
Paid for and authorized by Al Franken for Senate 2014
www.AlFranken.com

This email was sent to vpolitewebsiteguy at yahoo.com.

To unsubscribe, go to:
http://www.alfranken.com/page/m/6cf77e3/7152964d/32a6ba1a/781647f4/1524280001/VEsO/