[sf-lug] My favorite simple little Linux tips

Mike Higashi mhigashi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 20:33:36 PDT 2010

A few more simple little tips that I use often, but forgot to mention earlier:

1)  ls -ltr    List files in reverse chronological order, so newest
files are at the bottom.

For example, if I'm in the /var/log directory, run some program,
then want to see what log files were most recently touched.

2)  ls -lSr   List files by size, in reverse order, so biggest
disk hogs are at the bottom.

3)  ps axf    The 'f' adds a tree structure to the process list.

(Note that there's no dash. WIth GNU version of ps, using or
not using dashes changes the behavior between BSD and
SYS5 Unix.)

Mike