[sf-lug] Synaptic for Fedora?

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sat Jul 31 15:46:23 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 3:54 AM, Grant Bowman <grantbow at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Roughly Fedora's rpm is like Debian's dpkg.  Fedora's yum is like
>> Debian's apt-get and apt-cache.  For GUI users, Package Manager is
>> like System...Administration...Synaptic.  I haven't heard of Fedora
>> efforts to simplify installation even further as the
>> Applications...Ubuntu Software Center is making progress in doing.
>
> Forgive me in advance if this comes across as snarky -- I honestly don't
> mean it to be -- but how much simpler can going to  System > Administration
>> Add/Remove Software in Fedora with GNOME (or whatever the equivalent is in
> KDE) be?
>
> Larry Cafiero

In light of the recent RedHat and Canonical "fingerpointing" my e-mail
may come across as instigating, but I am really asking in the context
of F11 on OLPC XO 1.5 I am trying to install nmon by using a repo and
that's where it came up. F11 on XO 1.5 doesn't have an Admin menu,
hence the question.

I personally use apt-get or yum on my machines, but will use Synaptic
in class to demonstrate availability of packages and dependency
resolution. My mother likes Ubuntu Software Center a lot more than
Synaptic though :-)

cheers,
Sameer