[sf-lug] Synaptic for Fedora?

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 03:54:19 PDT 2010

Some quick google searches using the names of the existing tools on
both platforms turned up some good guides for people going from one
type of system to another.  Here is one decent primer for converting
command equivalents between Red Hat/Fedora/CentOS commands and
Debian/Ubuntu commands.

     http://daverdave.com/node/97

Roughly Fedora's rpm is like Debian's dpkg.  Fedora's yum is like
Debian's apt-get and apt-cache.  For GUI users, Package Manager is
like System...Administration...Synaptic.  I haven't heard of Fedora
efforts to simplify installation even further as the
Applications...Ubuntu Software Center is making progress in doing.

I believe ease of use is very important in furthering Linux adoption
by mainstream computer users.  It's hard to use software if you can't
easily become proficient in using the tools that help find and install
the software you might need or want.  Getting people trained to
efficiently use package tools is one of the relatively more complex
operational issues involved in providing educational sites with the
confidence they need to search for and install software that's
available.

Cheers,

Grant