[sf-lug] zareason advice about laptops

Christian Einfeldt einfeldt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 16:02:45 PDT 2010

Zareason sold the KIPP San Francisco Bay Academy several GNU-Linux machines.
 I did the negotiating for the school.  Zareason was great through the
negotiations.  There were lots of changes from the school's side, as they
got their funding from Microsoft (!!!) through the California Microsoft
Anti-trust Settlement Agreement (CMASA), and the rules for the CMASA rules
were designed to discourgage the acquisition of FOSS machines (surprise!).
 Zareason put up with all of the details and changes, and then, most
important, when it came time to deliver the machines, not only did they
deliver good machines, but they came over to the school and spent an
enormous amount of time actually running the network cables, etc.

I have nothing but good things to say about Zareason.  The story about the
school getting its Linux computers paid for by Microsoft was slashdotted and
appears here:

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/11/1446254

There were several other vendors who would not take the school's order for
the Linux computers, because the school couldn't guarantee payment.  The
school had to tell the vendors that if the Microsoft funding didn't come
through, they would have had to decline payment and return the machines.
 Zareason was willing to take that risk; that's how much they believe in
software freedom.

As a result, I am a big Zareason fan, and I promote them whenever I get a
chance.