[sf-lug] zareason advice about laptops

Chris Mason mason.christopher.thomas at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 00:50:08 PDT 2010

That's pretty great that they didn't try and sell you a new laptop, as
(stereotype incoming) most vendors would.

The general trend for HP/Dell/etc laptops is that they fail 6 months
to a year after the standard 3 year warranty runs out. I suspect this
is not completely a coincidence. It reminds me of the old Ford/Chevy
trend of cars failing after 100k miles. Toyota forced them away from
this business model.

I decided long ago that, if I ever need a laptop, I will purchase from them.

One challenge they face is that (stereotype incoming) Linux users tend
to be more frugal than others. It's wise on their part that they
embrace this, and focus on brand loyalty instead.

Chris