[sf-lug] Google phasing out Microsoft products...

Brian McGroarty brian.mcgroarty at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 22:37:01 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:08 PM, Brian McGroarty
<brian.mcgroarty at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Brian Morris <cymraegish at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> p.s. Is anyone out there actually running Chrome (outside of Google
>> employees) ? How is it, is it really Linux, or is it more like what
>> Mac has done with BSD ?
>
> I've monkeyed with it a bit. In short: think web tablet with keyboard attached.
>
> Only the browser is presented, along with some very minimal
> configuration options. It's possible to get to the shell if you know
> the magic invocation (ctrl-alt-T from the login screen) but it's not
> clear that this will be part of the final configuration, and I haven't
> seen any documentation on how to get at it once logged in.

My memory was flakey on this bit. I just booted up my old install, and
ctrl-alt-T does work from within Chrome OS. I don't see a way to get
back to the browser without closing the shell, however.

It's dpkg and apt-based, is so stripped down that even "man" isn't
part of the normal setup, and definitely isn't intended to be part of
a normal user's day.