[sf-lug] mutt and postfix

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 24 13:49:42 PDT 2010

an old (Dell dd4500s) desktop that I've been using as a server at home is dying so I'm trying to switch over to a SheevaPlug on which I've successfully installed Debian Testing.

Postfix has been installed and its /etc/postfix/main.cf has been edited to look exactly like the functioning copy on the old machine.

Mail sent out using mutt never gets out! (although it still works fine on the old machine.)

Here's the relevant data:

plug:~# tail /var/log/mail.warn
....shows no problems

plug:/etc/postfix# tail /var/log/mail.info
Apr 24 14:08:07 plug postfix/smtp[14441]: 67FE250411: to=<akleider at sonic.net>, relay=none, delay=1159, delays=1139/0.1/20/0, dsn=4.4.3, status=deferred (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=mailout.easydns.com type=MX: Host not found, try again)

.. which suggests that relayhost is not properly set in /etc/postfix/main.cf but it is set:
relayhost = mailout.easydns.com:20025
and as already mentioned this and all other entries are the same as on the functioning system (the dd4500s.)

If anyone has ideas where to go next, I'd be very grateful for any leads.

cheers,
alex