[sf-lug] Ubuntu implements units policy, will switch to ...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sun Apr 4 12:08:10 PDT 2010

Interesting, but I think that's a bit of a misrepresentation.  When in
doubt, go to the source (and I did).

I think I'd attempt to concisely (and perhaps a bit inaccurately)
paraphrase as:

"
SI prefixes (kB, MB, etc.) must be (10^3)^N units
binary prefixes (KiB, MiB, etc.) must be (2^10)^N units
use binary for most binary stuff
use SI for (at least) entire disk size
use SI for communications (e.g. bytes/second)
much stuff can use either/both (e.g. based upon command options)
There is kB and KiB, but there is no KB.
there are various exceptions
CLI is an exception
GUI default to SI
bugs will be filed against things that don't suitably conform
"

Or, straight from the horse's mouth:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnitsPolicy

Anyway, looks like at least some steps in (arguably more-or-less) the
right direction - at least if nothing else it increases consistency and
reduces ambiguity relative to current state - and that's generally a
rather to quite good thing.