[sf-lug] Printer Gone -

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Mar 17 22:07:25 PDT 2010

Quoting Mikki McGee (mikkimc at earthlink.net):

> And Thanks.  I posted a card to sell the thing this morning in the
> cartridge shop, and sold it this afternoon.  Lost some money, but not
> the whole amount.

Probably just as well.

> I will not bother with getting any other hardware.

Well, you might want to just keep an eye out for a cheap laser printer,
e.g., via http://sfbay.craigslist.org/ .

Here's a good one, available from someone in Haight-Ashbury:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sys/1648951672.html

  Brother HL 5170DN B/W Laser printer - $50 (haight ashbury)
  Date: 2010-03-17, 4:11PM PDT
  Reply to: sale-ht3s4-1648951672 at craigslist.org

  Small connected workgroups who need a compact network-ready monochrome
  laser printer will find the HL-5170DN too good to be true. Its built-in
  Ethernet network interface enables users to quickly connect to this
  printer and begin using it on their network. This printer also features
  excellent paper handling via its built-in duplex capability and
  expandable paper input capacity. Small workgroups will be amazed at the
  versatility and affordability of the HL-5170DN.

  Call (415) 902-0201 Asking $50.00 OBO.

The Linux Foundation OpenPrinting database has an entry about it that
says nothing but pleasant things:

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Brother/Brother-HL-5170DN

  Brother HL-5170DN

  Black & White laser printer, max. 2400x600 dpi, works Perfectly
  Recommended Driver: Postscript-Brother (Home page, View PPD, directly
  download PPD, Driver packages: All architectures: 20090616 (RPM for LSB
  3.2), 20090616 (DEB for LSB 3.2)(How to install))
  Generic Instructions: CUPS, LPD, LPRng, PPR, PDQ, no spooler
  [...]

  Miscellaneous

  Printer supports PJL.

  Printer supports direct text printing with the 'us-ascii' charset.

  Comments

  Same as the Brother HL-5150D, but with ethernet adapter and twice as
  much standard memory.

  21 pages per minute, duplex, PCL 5e, PCL 6, and PostScript Level 3, 32
  MB (160 MB max.), one tray for 250 sheets (max A4/Legal, a second tray
  can be added), 50-sheet multi-purpose tray, parallel, USB 2.0, Ethernet.

  There is also a Brother HL-5170DNLT with a second 250-sheet tray
  included.

  Best results are probably obtained when the printer is used in
  PostScript mode with a PPD file from the printer's driver CD.

  For the PCL mode see the page of the Brother HL-5140.

  Brother provides a driver, too, but binary-only and only for LPD/LPRng.
  According to the printout quality it is based on the "ljet4" Ghostscript
  driver. "pxlmono", "gimp-print" (600 dpi), and "hpijs-pcl5e" (600 dpi)
  give a better grayscale quality and all special features of the printer
  are accessible by PJL commands.

  Consumables/Refills: Separate Toner and Drum

Looks pretty good, to me, especially for $50!