[sf-lug] New Open Source Software Proposal

Alex Kleider a_kleider at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 15:36:16 PDT 2010

My suggestion is to use enc-fs on the local (to be backed up) machine so an encrypted version of the backup source is already available. Then when it comes time to do backup, use the encrypted version and send it over to the destination directory.
The one 'gotcha' that I  see is that to reconstitute, one needs not only the encrypted file and the passphrase, but also the ".encfs5" control file at the top level of the raw encfs filesystem.  I don't know if rsync transfers hidden files but you wouldn't want to be left without it.
http://www.arg0.net/encfsintro

Using this approach, nothing 'new' needs to be written.

alex