[sf-lug] New Open Source Software Proposal

David Hinkle hinkle at cipafilter.com
Mon Mar 15 11:32:02 PDT 2010

David Rosenstrauch, Alex and I have been talking back and fourth about how to get what is probably a pretty standard scenario accomplished with open source tools.   We can't seem to find any pile of software that can make it happen, so I was thinking of writing it.   First I want to solicit some feedback on my idea.

The plan would be an rsync replacement.    Instead of syncing local files to a remote fileserver over ssh,  it would instead break the local files into chunks, independently encrypt each chunk, and sync those chunks over.   The chunks could be stored in a sqllight database along with the checksum of the original unencrypted contents of each chunk and the checksum of the unencrypted file.   We would key these chunks based on the encrypted filename.

If we save the data in this manner, on subsequent backups, the client can ask for a list of checksums, compare those checksums to local files, and then transmit any chunks of those local files that may have been changed.

This would means we should be able to get rsync like performance backing up to an encrypted datastore on a remote server that has no knowledge of the encryption key.   We would also get the awesome ease of use of rsync over ssh.   Any server you have shell access to and that you can upload files to you could use as a safe remote repository for your data.

What do you guys think?  Usefull? Not usefull?  Would you use it?

David