[sf-lug] Linux backup software .. that meets unique requirements

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Mar 15 11:07:36 PDT 2010

On 03/15/2010 12:59 PM, Alex Kleider wrote:
> The link you give indicates that the file system does NOT support
> hard links so in effect, each 'snap shot' will end up being a whole
> extra copy of your file system. i.e. files that have not changed will
> be copied again and will occupy disk space. Am I understanding that
> correctly? I too, am very interested in a solution to this problem
> you have posed. alex

Hmmm ... that is a concern.

I'll have to read up about sshfs in some more detail and see if that's
what's happening here.

It's not necessarily a deal breaker for me if the remote FS could only
handle one snapshot.

But it would be a big issue for me if, as David Hinkle mentioned, sshfs
is not able to handle normal rsync-like behavior.  That would make every
backup be equivalent to a new full backup, and that is a problem.

Looks like I've got to read up on this a bit more.

Thanks,

DR