[sf-lug] Linux backup software .. that meets unique requirements

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Mar 11 11:55:32 PST 2010

Well, (IIUC) the approach that duplicity takes solves that problem
nicely.  It stores file fingerprint hashes on the remote site.  Then, at
the next backup, it retrieves them and compares the actual files to see
if they've changed.  This allows it to work in an rsync-like fashion,
even if the files are encrypted remotely.  So something that works in a
duplicity-like style would fit the bill.

(Of course duplicity itself *doesn't* fit it, unfortunately, since it
has the irritating requirement of having to periodically go back and
make - and upload - a fresh full backup.)

Secrecy at the remote end is definitely very important, by the way, as
it's a shared server, which I don't own.

Thanks,

DR