[sf-lug] Free Linux PDAs of historical interest

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Mar 1 19:11:57 PST 2010

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 02:35:47PM -0800, Michael Shiloh wrote:
> I have a couple of Agendas and a Zaurus. I loved them for what they
> could do at the time, but now they are gathering dust.  I have some
> accessories like power supplies and serial or USB cables. I think I have
> a wifi card for the Zaurus.
>
> Free to a good home. Great for learning embedded programming and general
> issues in working with small footprints.
>
> The Zaurus has an awesome keyboard and screen that could be read in
> direct sunlight. I've never seen one as good since.

*sniffle*  Both awesome devices in their own respects.
I seriously had a love affair with the Agenda.  The Zaurus kicked
its butt in almost all ways, but I didn't quite _love_ it as much.
As some out here recall, though, I was a big Zaurus hobbiest and
proponent.

I'm still waiting to find a modern replacement for the Zaurus.
I have an Android phone now (no keyboard, though), which blows
these older devices out of the water in most ways (e.g. utility of
being able to make phonecalls, and even make phonecalls AND do
network stuff simultaneously).  I'm thinking my next device will
be a Maemo one (e.g., Nokia N900), which I'm betting I will
feel 'the love' for, like I once did on the Agenda (and to
a lesser degree, the Zaurus).

Anyway, both highly recommended for tinkering.  (Zaurus is useful as a
WiFi-enabled device if you get a CF card.)  You posted this 4.5 hrs ago,
and if these things haven't been snatched up yet, I will be SHOCKED. :)

--
-bill!
Sent from my computer